Population: 1655 (2006)
Elevation: 159 m (522 ft)
Location: 40 km (25 mi) from Melbourne
7 km (4 mi) from Lilydale
LGA: Shire of Yarra Ranges
State electorate: Evelyn
Federal Division: Casey
Localities around Wandin North:
Lilydale, Coldstream, Gruyere, Mount Evelyn,
Seville, Silvan, Wandin East
The name Wandin and Wandin Yallock is of aboriginal origin and several definitions can be found. Sydney Endacott's 1924 book "Australian Aboriginal words and place names and their meanings" gives the meaning of Wandin as water and Yallock, meaning standing water. In A.W Reed's 1967 book "Aboriginal places names and meanings" Wandin Yallock means running water. Although the meanings vary slightly, they have a common reference to water and streams, features of vital importance to Aboriginal people who may originally have roamed the district we now know as Wandin.
The area of Wandin was first surveyed by John Hardy, Assistant Crown Surveyor, between 1866 and 1868 and was proclaimed "Parish of Wandin Yallock" on January 12, 1874. His original map dated 5th November 1868 included most allotments of 20 to 80 acres with a few larger blocks and a rectangular area of approximately 180 acres situated between Queens road and Beenak road was reserved for a township. A number of the families that selected land included: John Burgi, Thomas Hand, William Henderson, Thomas Payne, Edward Hunter, Anthony Downham, Henry Sebire, Nicholas Gaudion, John Rouget, John Bailey, George Johnston, William Aitken, William Sebire, Jonas Thompson, George and Henry Overton.
After the pioneers established temporary homes and cleared part of their allotments, they planted crops that would show quick returns. It was discovered that the rich soil and climate suited raspberry growing. They then started to include other fruits such as cherries, lemons, apples, pears, plums, peaches to name a few. This industry also saw a number of factories established in the district to produce jam and dried fruits.
In 1868 the first church (United Free Methodist Church) was erected on the corner of Beenak and Hunter roads, by Thomas Hogg and Thomas Payne, and remains there today. In 1874 the first school was built directly opposite the church (corner Quayle and Beenak Roads) with the principal Mr Thomas Mattingley. The first Post Office was opened in December 1874 by James Baker at his home in Baker Road. This was relocated in 1893 to the corner of Quayle and Beenak roads, opposite the church and school. Mr J Ede built a General Store on the other corner of the intersection and this became the hub of the town activity.
The rail line to Lilydale opened in December 1882 with all the fruit and other produce, as well as passengers, having to contend with unbelievably rough roads that many regarded as just tracks. There was an immediate assumption that the railway would be extended to other developing areas up to Launching Place and beyond. Many differing routes where proposed including a line that deviated at Croydon, followed the Olinda creek to Silvan (then called Wandin South) passed Wandin near the Quayle/Hunter and Beenak roads intersection, and onto Woori Yallock. This matter was of such importance that members of Parliament and railway officials visited the area in 1893 to decide which route would be of greatest benefit. Due to a lack of funds nothing was done until 1899 when the official survey was released with the route that we know today including Mt Evelyn, Wandin, Seville, Killara, Woori Yallock, Launching Place, Yarra Junction, Warburton West and Warburton.
Given the distance from the then hub of Wandin (Corner Quayle/Hunter and Beenak roads) many businesses started to drift toward the new railway station. In 1899 Mr J Hutchinson built a new General Store on the corner of Warburton Highway and Beenak road and remained in business under different ownership until 1967 when Mr Don Strachan moved the business to new premises near other shops, including a butcher, Milk Bar and the Blue Moon farm supplies, to create the Wandin North Shopping Centre.
Recreation Reserve In July 1912 a petition organised by the Wandin District Horticultural Society requested the Lilydale Shire Council convene a public meeting to select a site for a recreation reserve. The meeting was attended by 92 residents and was chaired by Cr J Wallace and Mr W Sebire acted as secretary. 3 Proposals were offered: Mr J Hunter in Beenak Road, Mr G Overton in Wellington Road (then being used by the Cricket Club) and Mr J Rouget in Clegg Road. (the current location) Mr Rouget’s offer was accepted and the first working bee was held in November 1913 to clear the heavily timbered area. (Extracts from "Wandin – Its origins and early development" written by A and N Lord 1981)
The Post Office opened around 1909. An earlier office (1884) named Wandin North was renamed Seville.
Wandin North used to have a railway station simply called Wandin on the Warburton branch line which opened in 1901 and closed in 1965.
The Town today
Wandin North contains a number of attractions such as Warratina Lavender Farm, Mont De Lancey, Wild Cattle Creek Winery and the numerous fruit orchards.
Wandin North is the home of a vibrant shopping precinct.
From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia